The Jewish Foundation for Education of Women (JFEW)-SUNY Global Affairs Leadership Program is a two-year scholarship program for female Binghamton University students entering their Junior Year in Fall 2022. The Search Committee is seeking candidates who demonstrate a strong interest in global affairs. Candidates from all majors are encouraged to apply! In addition to scholarship support and a paid summer internship, the program provides strong mentoring support, career development and peer networks that will continue to support students’ goals throughout their careers.
Students from all backgrounds who meet the selection criteria are encouraged to apply.
The integrated program is expected to include:
- Two years of scholarship support (up to $5,500 each year)
- A monthly seminar series for two academic years
- A funded internship in a New York City-based global organization offered during the summer between junior and Senior Years ($4,200 internship stipend + $255 travel stipend to offset living costs.) The decision regarding if internships will be in a virtual or in-person format due to the COVID 19 Pandemic will be made closer to Summer 2022. Should in-person internships be available, accepted Scholars must secure their own housing in New York City during the summer internship after Junior year. The JFEW/SUNY Global Affairs Leadership Program is not responsible for securing housing and accommodations.
- Facilitated networking, professional development and mentoring opportunities
- Summer on-site seminars at organizations such as the Council on Foreign Relations, Pfizer, the Institute of International Education, and Google to name a few
Application deadline: May 13, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
Students are required to participate in three seminars each semester. Seminars are three hours each and are held on Fridays from 2:30 – 5:30 pm. The seminars are designed to provide a comprehensive overview of major issues, organizations, and people in International Relations and Global Affairs. Students will have required readings and written assignments.
Students must attend three monthly 2-2.5-hour seminars per semester which include career development topics, such as applying to graduate school, funding sources and financial wellness, salary negotiation, job search, interview preparation, and many other topics.
* Please note that students planning to participate in a study abroad program during their Junior or Senior years are still encouraged to apply for the program. Provisions will be made for participation during their study abroad. However, students must be available for the summer months (June through August) for the duration of the internship in New York City.
Summer Internship in NYC ($4,200 stipend)
The eight-week summer internship takes place between the Junior and Senior years. Students are placed in internationally-focused organizations ranging from well‐known international think tanks and UN organizations to NGOs.
Please note that qualifying Scholars are required to secure their own housing and other accommodations during the Summer Internship portion of the Scholarship Program. The JFEW SUNY International Relations Program is not responsible for coordinating housing.
Prior JFEW/SUNY Binghamton Scholars have interned at organizations such as:
- US Department of State
- Clinton Global Initiative
- Ford Foundation
- 92nd Street Y
- Council on Foreign Relations
- GBC Health
- Freedom House
As part of this program, a stipend of $4,200 will be paid during the summer internship to qualifying scholars. Orientation will be provided to all scholars before the internship and will include an overview of key international relations and global affairs issues; virtual or in-person site visits to prestigious international organizations; sessions by international relations experts; and preparation for the internship.
Distinguished Speakers Series
A weekly Distinguished Speakers Series will highlight key leaders in organizations working internationally. The Series will be held in the evening. Attendance is required. Participants will have the opportunity to attend special activities at various NYC organizations such as events at the Foreign Policy Association, Council of the Americas, and Asia Society. A one-day wrap‐up and debrief session during the last week of the internship is required.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Students who demonstrate an interest in Global Affairs and meet all of the following requirements:
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Full Time Student
- U. S. citizens or eligible for citizenship
- Permanent resident of New York State
- Entering Junior Year in Fall 2022
- Preference will be given to female applicants
- Have a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with Binghamton University’s Office of Financial Aid. This FAFSA must establish that the student has demonstrated financial need. It is therefore a requirement that you complete your FAFSA prior to the submission of your scholarship application.
*The decision regarding if summer internships will be in a virtual or in-person format due to the COVID 19 Pandemic will be made closer to Summer 2022. Should in-person internships be available, *accepted Scholars must secure their own housing in New York City during the summer internship after Junior year. in New York City. The JFEW/SUNY Global Affairs Leadership International Relations Program is not responsible for securing housing and accommodations.
**Students who wish to participate in an internship and who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that they will be asked about their prior criminal history. This may impede your ability to participate in certain internships. Students who have concerns about such matters, or are looking for additional information, are advised to contact the dean’s office of their intended academic program.
Past JFEW Program Speakers
Amir Dossal (2021)
President and CEO of Global Partnerships Forum
Dr. Melissa Berman (2021)
President and CEO of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors
Cynthia Medina (2021)
Development Manager, Jackie Robinson Foundation
Helen Jeon (2021)
Creative and Communications Team, Obama Foundation
Simone Monasebian (2021)
United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime Representative at the World Bank’s Stolen Asset Recovery Initiative
Sally Crimmins-Villela (2022)
Associate Vice Chancellor for Global Affairs, SUNY Office of Global Affairs
Dr. Li-Hsiang Huang (2022)
Fulbright Visiting Scholar, NYU Steinhardt
JFEW scholarships must not be used to replace other scholarships or grant funding.
JFEW scholars may not receive a combination of scholarships, grants, Federal Work Study and/or education loans exceeding the Cost of Attendance as determined by their Financial Aid Office.
Scholarships for each semester are determined based on whether participating students continue to meet the scholarship’s GPA and financial need requirements.
If you have questions about this program, please contact the Fleishman Center at 607-777-2400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested applicants are invited to set up an appointment in hireBING to discuss the program with Fleishman Staff. To do this, look for the appointment type: “JFEW/SUNY Global Affairs Leadership Program Consultation”
This program is supported through a gift from the Jewish Foundation for Education of Women.
Required to Apply:
Complete the form below and prepare to submit the following:
- Personal statement of interest that explains why you are interested in this program and how it will help you achieve your post-graduate goals
- Submit assignment on Big Interview (Go to the link: https://binghamton.biginterview.com/register and create an account with your b-email. After you have created an account use the code: 8077ac to find the assignment and record your answers to share with the Selection Committee.)
- Attach one letter of recommendation (If reference prefers to email the recommendation letter, it can be emailed to Ozzy Girit Heck, the JFEW/SUNY Campus Liaison at email@example.com. Please include in the subject line “First Name, Last Name, JFEW SUNY Letter of Recommendation.”)
Sorry. This form is no longer available.