Mission Concept: “Help During a Crisis”
Spring 2021 Unpaid Internships
The content of this listing is in accordance with all applicable employment laws. While this is an unpaid internship, we offer College or University credit. Preference is given to those with an academic requirement for an internship.
- Eligibility: You must be enrolled in an Undergraduate or Graduate degree program at the time of the internship.
- Preferred Majors: Emergency Management, Urban Planning, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Public Policy and Administration, Nonprofit Management, Psychology, Sociology, Homeland Security, Criminal Justice, or related majors.
- Preferred Grade Levels: Undergraduate Junior, Undergraduate Senior, and Graduate level.
- Duration: Our unpaid Spring 2021 Internship Program typically runs for a specified 14-week duration beginning on Monday, February 1st, and concluding Friday, May 7th. This is a part-time position, 10+ hours per week.
- Positions will be completely virtual.
About the Mission Concept
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
This mission concept is for students who are action-driven and client-focused. You want to be on the front lines delivering services to clients and/or work behind-the-scenes developing plans for effective service delivery. From small house fires to local natural disasters, you want to help where you’re needed, so people can have clean water, safe shelter, and hot meals when they need them most.
Because the American Red Cross Greater New York Region has multiple internship opportunities we’ve grouped them by “Mission Concepts,” which is a work area that will allow you to narrow your interest to make it easier to select your ideal internship. If this Mission Concept fits your educational and career goals, view all the internship opportunities below.
Intern, Disaster Relief Specialist – Intern with the group that provides Feeding, Sheltering, the Distribution of Emergency Supplies, and Reunification services for communities affected by a disaster, such as a large-scale residential fire or other natural disasters. Learn about the planning and implementation side of Disaster Response. Responsibilities and priorities will fluctuate given whether the Red Cross is in regular operations or under a disaster relief situation. Projects may include:
- Developing plans for a Disaster Relief Hurricane Response Plan.
- Developing plans for the Distribution of Emergency Supplies during a large-scale disaster.
- Conducting outreach to potential and existing external partners.
- Maintaining sheltering and feeding kits.
- Special Skills Required: Must be comfortable with driving and willing to commute to both Staten Island and the GNY chapter if we reopen.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a mission-focused Undergraduate or Graduate student seeking a meaningful internship experience who has the following qualities:
- Detail Oriented
- Strong Communicator
- Team Builder/Player
- Strategic Thinker
- No-task-is too-small attitude
What You’ll Learn
In our region, you will enjoy a collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services. You’re learning and development will include:
- Relationship Building
- Organizational Management
- Training and mentoring from subject matter experts
- Volunteer Engagement, Management & Administration
- A deeper awareness of the Humanitarian Mission of the American Red Cross
- Cultivation of Cultural Competence and Inclusion
Being involved in projects critical to the day-to-day work of our non-profit organization, gaining an insider’s perspective on the Red Cross humanitarian mission as well as service delivery at the local and national levels.
- Access to subject matter experts in the fields of Nonprofit Management, Nonprofit Fundraising, Emergency Management, Communications, Social Media, Disaster Relief, and much more.
- Access to our exclusive online database of professional development courses.
- Additional service projects with direct impact in communities within our Greater New York Region.