Job ID 2249
Date posted 07/21/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department;of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Photon Science Division of the NSLS-II, within BNL’s Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate, currently has a full-time opportunity for a Mechanical Technician. Under technical direction, and with latitude for the exercise of initiative and judgment, the successful candidate will perform a wide variety of skilled and complex technical assignments in support of the scientific mission of the NSLS-II and its user program. Technical skills and techniques will be used to design, develop, fabricate, evaluate, test, operate, maintain or integrate equipment and systems that are in use at the NSLS-II experimental beamlines and laboratories.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work independently or in coordination with other technical support personnel, and contractors, to assemble, install, commission, repair, maintain and upgrade a variety of beamline systems and experimental equipment. These components range in complexity from simple mechanical supports to electrical/mechanical equipment and complex optical, vacuum and cryo-cooling assemblies,including equipment in support laboratories.
• Assist beamline staff and users with setup and experiments, with emphasis on mounting, operating and dismounting sample cells and processing set-ups.
• Purchase, prepare and supply any tooling or fixtures necessary for the operation of the beamline components and laboratory equipment, maintaining supply and equipment inventories.
• Assist with system calibration, inspection, servicing, debugging, repairs, trips/faults or unplanned beamline system related events, keeping accurate records of all repairs, maintenance and fabrication activities.
• Perform housekeeping, label, store and dispose of hazardous materials and excess equipment appropriately and stay current with all BNL required training.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Equivalence of a technical institute or Associate’s degree related to engineering techniques and a minimum of four (4)years of relevant experience in a technical field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic engineering principles and machine shop practices.
- Manual dexterity and experience working with hand and power tools for both assembly and disassembly of equipment, as well as with fine work for experimental setup.
- Proficiency in installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of electrical, vacuum, plumbing and gas systems.
- Ability to work from procedures, drawings, user manuals and verbal instructions.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with a diverse group of scientists and engineers.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
(Experience in one or more of the following)
- Synchrotron facilities or particle accelerators incl. mechanical, vacuum, utilities, cryogenics, etc.
- Complex assemblies of scientific equipment using specialized tools.
- Interacting with suppliers of laboratory hardware or infrastructure.
- Electronics and controls, incl. motion and temperature controllers.
- Low/high pressure gas systems and vacuum operations.
- Cable termination, cable routing, and rack mount equipment installation.
Candidate will be placed at the appropriate level commensurate with breadth and depth of experience.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Lifting, moderate 15-30 lbs
- Ability to hear alarms
- BNL will not sponsor a visa for this position
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
BNL is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce.
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1