- Apply classroom learning, theories, and experiences to real world settings.
- Improve self confidence and initiative by working with a diverse, multicultural staff.
- Understand logistics and operations related to running a health care center for 500 campers ages 7-17 and 300 staff from around the world.
- Strengthen leadership, teamwork and communication skills while experiencing the importance and impact of being a positive role model to hundreds of children.
- Take advantage of networking and mentoring opportunities from our Leadership Team, Alumni and Parent Network.
As a Health Care intern at Camp Towanda, you will work closely with our Medical Team assisting with and observing Sick Call (when the Infirmary staff see over 100 kids in 45 minutes for various medical needs), assisting in the Vitamin Shoppe (where our RNs distribute mealtime medications), helping prepare our medications and first aid for off campus trips, assisting with data entry and record keeping, amongst other things. The Camp Towanda Infirmary is a modern Health Center staffed 24/7 with an ER Pediatric Physician, EMT, multiple nurses and nursing students. As an intern, you will also be given the opportunity to get to know every member of the team and gain hands-on experience directly related to the medical field.
Your primary role will be working with the campers as a counselor, living in a cabin with campers and other co-counselors. Working at camp simply as a counselor, in-and-of-itself, provides hands-on experience and leadership opportunities, while building skills that hiring managers are looking for, such as flexibility, adaptability, initiative, self-direction, social and cross-cultural skills, productivity, accountability, leadership and responsibility. As a counselor, you will be directly responsible for the welfare and whereabouts of your campers. You will be under the guidance of your Group Leader and assist in supervision of the campers’ daily schedule.
You will work in the Health Care Center during Sick Call and to prepare for trips as well as other times; you will work in the Mess Hall with our Nurses during med distribution at Meal Time. When you are not scheduled to be in the Health Center, you will be with your assigned group as a role model to the campers, ensuring safety, team-building, growth and development in all activities and life at camp. You can read more about camp life in our company profile page.
Benefits of Interning at Camp Towanda:
- Individually tailored experience to meet your goals, working with school advisors so that you get the most out of your internship.
- Hands on program, working directly in your discipline.
- Real world work experience in the outdoors vs. an office or corporate setting, getting coffee or pushing papers.
- Receive routine feedback and supervision by a professional with expertise and educational/professional background in your associated field.
- Satisfy school internship requirements and earn credits if needed.
- Hours/week: Working at camp is not your typical job/internship. You are living and working at the same place in an immersive community lifestyle for 8 weeks.
- Work with a diverse team from around the world, impacting and inspiring today’s youth.
- Work on the set of the movie “Wet Hot American Summer”. Yup, it was filmed here!
- Join a vast network of Staff, Alumni and Parents that can connect you with future endeavors.
- THIS IS A PAID INTERNSHIP. Pay scale depends on experience and qualifications. Plus, housing, meals, laundry service and travel reimbursement are provided!
CAMP AND COVID
In May of 2020 we made the tough decision to close our business for the season. You can view our closing message here. Looking ahead to 2021, we are confident that we will be prepared and ready for the challenges. We are working closely with our Medical Team to safely make this summer the best one yet! Now more than ever, the importance of Camp is evident; the fresh air, connecting with nature, impacting our youth and fostering a healthy, nurturing environment for the next generation to grow.
The next step is to fill out our online application. We will then connect to set up a video interview over Skype, Facetime or Zoom. Our internships are integrated with our hired camp counselor positions; there is one application. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. 570-253-3266 or email@example.com