- Who may apply: All U.S. Citizens
- Applications will be accepted for the open period as stated above. A 1st cut-off date on 9/8/2020 may be used. After this date applicants will be referred as vacancies exist. Multiple cut-off dates may be used. To ensure consideration for future vacancies, submit your application early.
- We may use applicants applying for DFAS Cleveland, Ohio to make selections at DFAS Bratenahl, Ohio.
- Planning, installation, configuration, testing, implementation, and management of the systems environment in support of the organizations IT architecture and business needs.
- Planning, analysis, design, development, testing, quality assurance, configuration, installation, implementation, integration, maintenance, and/or management of networked systems.
- Planning, development, implementation, and administration of systems for the acquisition, storage, and retrieval of data; planning/ coordinating the installation, testing, operation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of hardware/software systems.
- Planning and delivery of customer support services, including installation, configuration, troubleshooting, customer assistance, and/or training, in response to customer requirements.
- Duties will be developmental in nature when the position is filled below the full performance level.
- This announcement may be used to fill positions focused in Information Technology focus areas such as: Applications Software, Customer Support, Systems Analysis, Security, Network Services, Internet, and Data Management.
- Occasional travel – There is no regular or recurring travel requirement.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Suitable for Federal employment
- Time after Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have served 3 months after latest competitive appointment in the Federal service.
- Background or Security Investigation – see the Additional Information field below for more details.
- Obtain/Maintain DoD-Approved Cybersecurity Certification
- The positions being filled may or may not have a certification requirement as a condition of employment for the incumbent occupying the position. This requirement will be communicated at the point of a tentative job offer if it is needed.
- This position is being filled under Direct-Hire Authority for Certain Personnel of the Department of Defense via delegated authority by the Office of the Secretary of Defense. Positions may be filled as permanent or term with a full-time or part-time work schedule. Pay will vary by geographic location. We reserve the right to close this announcement early or to extend, as appropriate, based upon the needs of the Agency. Qualified application packages may be referred to management at various points in the selection process depending on the number and timing of applications received. Selections may be made at any point during the announcement open period.
- Basic Requirement: Applicants must have IT-related experience demonstrating the following competencies appropriate to, or above, the level of this position. For vacancies below the full-performance level of the position, the basic requirement will be evaluated on a developmental basis. Your resume and work experience should clearly support your ability to meet these competencies and will be evaluated as part of the entire application process.
- Attention to Detail- experience reviewing my own information technology-related work or data to ensure accuracy, completeness, and consistency with standards. My work or the data that I produce is typically reviewed by my supervisor or another colleague.
- Customer Service- experience having brief contact with customers to provide information about available information technology products and services and providing customers with standard products or routine services to address information technology needs.
- Oral Communication- experience informing my supervisor and other IT staff of the status of information technology systems, projects, or daily operations, including the status of information technology systems, projects, or daily operations, including the communication of basic technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Problem Solving- identifying or selecting from a number of alternatives to address routine information technology-related issues by gathering and applying information from standard sources that provide a limited number of solutions.
- In addition to the Basic Competency Requirements listed above, one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade in the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required. Specialized experience for each grade level is described as follows:
- GS-07 Specialized experience is defined as: Demonstrated knowledge of computer requirements and techniques in carrying out project assignments consisting of several related tasks, such as development of minor modifications to parts of a system on the basis of detailed specifications provided. The assignments must have shown completion of the following, or the equivalent: Analysis of the interrelationships of pertinent components of the system; planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment.
- GS-09 Specialized experience is defined as: Demonstrated knowledge of computer requirements and techniques in carrying out project assignments consisting of several related tasks, such as development of minor modifications to parts of a system on the basis of detailed specifications provided. The assignments must have shown completion of the following, or the equivalent: Analysis of the interrelationships of pertinent components of the system; planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment; and personal responsibility for at least a segment of the overall project.
- GS-11 Specialized experience is defined as: Demonstrated accomplishment of computer project assignments that required a range of knowledge of computer requirements and techniques. For example, experience in developing modifications to parts of a system that required significant revisions in the logic or techniques used in the original development. Applying knowledge of the customary approaches, techniques, and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization; planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls; and adaptation of guidelines or precedents to the needs of the assignment.
- Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Substitution of Education for Experience:
- GS-07: One year of graduate education (or will have within 9 months from job post closing) in computer science, engineering, info science, info systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or tech management; or superior academic achievement with a degree that provided a minimum 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks, may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement.
- GS-9: Qualifying Master’s degree or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of graduate education (or will have within 9 months from job post closing) leading to a Master’s degree or equivalent graduate degree in computer science, engineering, info science, info systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or tech management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above & required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
- GS-11: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of graduate education (or will have within 9 months from job post closing) leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in computer science, engineering, info science, info systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or tech management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above & required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
**Combination of education and experience is not applicable for this position.**
- Moving expenses will not be paid.
- The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 makes certain reimbursements/payments taxable. For information on these changes and the Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA), for which some appointees are eligible, click here.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 120 days of the closing date.
- We may use this announcement to make a temporary promotion. For some positions, the temporary promotion may be made permanent without further competition.
- Telework availability will be based upon the mission requirements and supervisory determination.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- There is no regular or recurring travel required for this position.
- This position is Non-Exempt at the GS-7 grade level and Exempt at the GS-9 and GS-11 from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- This position is covered by a bargaining unit.
- Veteran’s Preference: Veteran’s preference does not apply under this Direct Hire Authority (DHA).
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination.
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives.
- This position will be covered by formal training under the DFAS Career Acclimation Program (DCAP). The purpose of this program is to develop well-qualified, well-trained, high potential employees for future positions within DFAS. Promotion is conditional based on performance, successful completion of training, and availability of higher graded work. Participants who do not successfully complete the program may be separated.
- This announcement will be used to fill positions with an entry grade of GS-7, GS-9, or GS-11 with a target grade of GS-11.
- The minimum salary for grade GS-7 is $43,612, the maximum salary is $58,583. The minimum salary for grade GS-9 is $53,347, the maximum salary is $71,666. The minimum salary for grade GS-11 is $64,545, the maximum salary is $86,705.
- The General Schedule (GS) basic pay schedule may vary by geographic locality. To view pay rates in a specific location visit the Office of Personnel Management pay tables at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2020/general-schedule/.
- Pay for first time hires to the Federal Government will typically be set at step 1 salary range for their respective grade level.
- Individual position certification requirements are dependent upon the position being filled. The positions being filled may or may not have a certification requirement that are a condition of employment for the incumbent occupying the position. If there is a certification requirement that is a condition of employment, the requirement will be communicated at point of a tentative job offer.
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.