The Clinical Assistant & Medical Scribe is part of the care team in the outpatient care setting and directly interacts with the patient, family, and caregiver in person, over the telephone and via the patient portal. The medical assistant advocates for the patient in the delivery of quality, cost effective patient care by performing the clinical tasks and duties assigned by the physician, registered nurse, and practice leadership to improve individual and population health.
Education /Certifications / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Superb written and oral communication skills required
- Women’s Healthcare background preferred but not required
- Excellent computer skills; knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Outlook and Excel
- EMR experience preferred but not required
- Phlebotomy experience preferred but not required
- Must be able to work weekends, holidays, and occasional evenings
Supervisory Responsibilities: This role has no supervisory responsibility
1. Accurately and thoroughly document medical visits and procedures as they are being performed by the physician, including but not limited to:
- Front desk training is a must in order to assist with physicians clinical duties.
- Patient medical history and physical exam,
- Procedures and treatments performed by healthcare professionals, including nurses and physician assistants.
- Patient education on infertility and explanations of risks and benefits.
- Able to assist our financial coordinators with patient finance inquiries and physicians with patient medications as well as all around IVF training.
- Physician-dictated diagnoses, prescriptions and instructions for patient or family members for self-care and follow-up
- Prepare referral letters as directed by the physician
- 2. Dictation/faxing/phone calls and clerical tasks. Medical Scribes are asked to prepare referral letters as directed by the physician, via dictation or summary of the medical record. Medical Scribe also ensure that letters are mailed or faxed on a daily basis to all physicians involved in a patient’s care, and with all copies of pertinent reports or tests attached. You may be asked to research contact information for referring physicians, coordinate referrals, prepare operative reports, make phone calls, and other clerical tasks as assigned.
- 3. Medical Scribes also spot mistakes or inconsistencies in medical documentation and check to correct the information in order to reduce errors. All addenda must be signed off by a physician. Medical Scribes ensure that all clinical data, lab or other test results, the interpretation of the results by the physician are recorded accurately in the medical record. Alert physician when chart is incomplete. Medical Scribes must comply with specific standards that apply to the style of medical records and to the legal and ethical requirements for preparing medical documents and for keeping patient information confidential.
- 4. Medical Scribes collect, organize and catalog data for physician quality reporting system and other quality improvement efforts and format for submission. You will assist in developing and maintaining systems to track patient follow up and compliance.
- 1. Language Skills – The ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Medical Scribes must be proficient in typing and good at spelling, punctuation, grammar, and oral communication. Must be able to listen to complex medical information and summarize in a clear, complete, and concise fashion. Excellent English composition skills required to generate professional, polished writing at a high rate of production. Handwriting must be clear and legible.
- 2. Understanding of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, diagnostic procedures, pharmacology, and treatment assessments to the extent required to understand and accurately transcribe dictated reports. Translate medical abbreviations into their expanded forms.
- 3. Computer Skills – To perform this job successfully, an individual should be able to learn and use all functions of electronic medical record software and transcription software. Must accurately enter data into a database, search for information, send and receive email and attachments. Must be proficient in Microsoft Word in order to prepare correspondence, medical reports, and other documents. Must use Microsoft Excel to prepare flowcharts and organize data. Must use the internet to access schedules, research information, etc.
About Generation Next Fertility
Mission: A state-of-the-art boutique medical fertility practice for women focused on compassionate, highly individualized care. Starting with the first patient interaction an exemplary team delivers superb service highlighted by extraordinary access to the practice’s sensitive, caring and well-trained physicians. Medical care is complemented by integrative fertility treatments such as natural cycle and mild stimulation IVF protocols, and acupuncture.
Please note: this is a full-time position. Please do not apply if you are only looking for a summer job.