Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 2,000 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT is currently ranked #59 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
Position summary: Responsible for bridge inspection duties using knowledge of bridge engineering principles and practices to interpret, organize, document, and report bridge conditions. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform bridge and structural field inspections in accordance with NBIS and PennDOT Publication 238.
- Document bridge and structural conditions; develop inspection reports; detail/summarize condition of structural inspections. Where appropriate enter condition status into bridge databases for client use.
- Perform bridge or other structural ratings with guidance from bridge design engineer(s)
- Coordinate with traffic control, PennDOT and Pennsylvania Turnpike staff to establish fieldwork dates and required traffic restrictions as needed by senior (team leader) bridge inspector
- Assist with development of cost estimation for required structural repairs
- Coordinate with internal team members to ensure inspections and inspection reports are completed on schedule, accurate, and meet client requirements
Nonessential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; general computer knowledge
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Associates degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or a related field from ABET accredited engineering program
- Field work is required approximately 50% of the time
- PA driver’s license
- Certification: Certified Bridge Safety Inspector (CBSI) or ability to obtain CBSI
- Organization and time management skills
- PennDOT BMS and PA Turnpike PONTIS experience/proficiency
- AutoCAD, Microstation or similar drafting software experience
Work is performed outdoors at bridge and other structural sites approximately 50% of the time. Work will be conducted in various weather conditions including heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid. The work will often be near live traffic potentially travelling at high speeds and therefore there is a need to be very safety conscious. Traffic proximity can cause loud noise during the work day and blow dust and debris near the work location. Field work will involve confined spaces, working from heights, traversing steep and rough terrain and at remote locations. Some lifting (up to 40 lbs) may be required as needed. Ability to operate bridge inspection equipment may be required. Some field work locations will require extensive travel and staying in motels.
Work is performed indoors in an office location approximately 50% of the time. This portion of work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Building Relationships and Teamwork
- Job Proficiency
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.