The Naval Nuclear Laboratory is seeking a motivated individual to work with a multi-disciplined team of skilled engineers and scientists to design and qualify systems that automate chemistry sampling using commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) chemistry sensors/instrumentation that is deployed in the Naval Nuclear Fleet. In this position you will:
- Support deployed automated chemistry analysis systems by designing tests and qualifying new hardware, write technical manual procedures for system operators, train operators to use the system, respond to emergent operator requests for technical assistance, analyze operating data to assess system health, and proactively manage the obsolescence of COTS components by identifying, qualifying, and implementing replacement components.
- Research and development of next-generation technology for inclusion in future system deployments and existing system upgrades, focusing on simplification and reduced lifecycle cost.
- Perform a wide variety of work types including hands-on chemistry laboratory work, data evaluation, authoring technical and cost/benefit engineering evaluations and recommendation reports, authoring system operating and troubleshooting procedures.
There is minimal travel (typically between zero and three times per year) for support of deployed systems, vendor meetings, and chemistry instrumentation technology conferences required for this position.
REQUIRED SKILLS *
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or chemical engineering from an accredited college or university. — GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or chemical engineering from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two years of relevant experience; or
- Master’s degree in chemistry or chemical engineering from an accredited college or university and a minimum of one year relevant experience.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher in most recent degree program.
- Experience with COTS analytical chemistry instrumentation including on-line pH, conductivity, dissolved gas, ion chromatography, ion selective electrodes, capillary electrophoresis is a plus
- Experience with COTS lab control software such as LabVIEW and National Instruments instrumentation and control applications is a plus
- Experience with authoring reports that clearly and concisely present technical information
- Excellent communication skills