Division of Administration
Chief Information Office, Management Information Systems Team – Troy
Reference No. CIO/MIS_TRO_PUGS_FALL_2020
Paid, Part-Time Placement for Graduate Students
The Management Information Systems (MIS) Analytics Team within the Chief Information Office (CIO) in the New York State Office of the Attorney General (OAG) has a part-time, paid position available for qualified graduate students. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we will be hosting an exclusively remote fall program.
MIS supports the implementation of major OAG Information Technology bureau (IT) initiatives involving research, business analysis, and analytics. The team is charged with the enablement of Business Intelligence (BI) technologies and providing customer centric solutions using these technologies. The OAG IT bureau manages multiple information systems including case management, charities registration and annual reporting, civil recoveries and debt collection, electronic payments, and electronic discovery systems that support the core mission of the office.
Student assistants will support the work of the CIO through:
- Tracking and monitoring implementations to help increase technology solution effectiveness;
- Conducting MIS research and analysis to produce comparative technology analysis of similar state agencies and entities;
- Disseminating findings through executive presentations and reports;
- Working collaboratively with the IT bureau and OAG bureaus;
- Performing data cleansing, analysis, and summarizing large datasets;
- Rapidly learning new technologies and applying those skills to assist with proof of concept development; and
- Performing other qualitative and quantitative research tasks as required.
The CIO is seeking applicants with the following qualifications/skills:
- Demonstrated interest in information technology;
- Prior experience in applying quantitative methods in research and/or analytics;
- Excellent presentation and verbal and written communication skills;
- Highly organized, self-directed, and curious;
- Experience using the Microsoft Office Suite: Word and Excel (including formulas and pivot tables);
- Knowledge of coding and querying languages (Python, SQL, R, Java, Net) preferred, data visualization software a plus (Tableau, Power BI), Azure; and
- An interest in machine learning and automation.
- Applicants must be available to work 15 hours per week during regular business hours for 10-12 weeks;
- The selected candidate will be hired as a student assistant at the graduate student hourly rate, which is $15.28;
- Applications will be accepted online and this position will be filled on a rolling basis;
- Applicants must be available by video conference for interviews;
- Applicants must be eligible to be employed in the U.S.;
- To be eligible, applicants must be full-time graduate students in good academic standing as defined by their schools; and
- Applicants are encouraged to learn more about the OAG prior to submitting their applications by visiting the Divisions and Bureaus and Media sections of the OAG website.
HOW TO APPLY
The following section provides detailed information about the application process and application requirements. Please review all of the instructions prior to preparing and submitting your application materials online. Please visit www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings to the see the current list of paid, part-time opportunities that are available for eligible students.
Applications are being received online. Applications are submitted separately for each bureau/regional office, and an applicant’s candidacy for each application is determined separately by each bureau/regional office.
The following documents are required for each application that is submitted: (Click on the document name to learn more)
- Address to Legal Recruitment.
- Indicate your availability and preferred work schedule.
List of three (3) references.
- Only submit professional (i.e., supervisor or professor) references.
- Indicate your professional relationship to each reference.
- Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
- An unofficial transcript is acceptable.
- Select a piece that demonstrates your ability to analyze, synthesize and organize a cohesive document that efficiently and effectively conveys information to your target audience.
Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your candidacy.
Please allow at least three (3) business weeks for your application to be processed and reviewed by the hiring bureau/regional office. After three (3) weeks, to request a status update, please click here.
If you have questions about a position with the OAG, the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.