People’s Prep Charter School – Newark, NJ
Since 2011, People’s Prep has successfully provided a high-performing, college-preparatory high school for Newark students and their families. Our mission is to prepare all of our students to graduate from the college of their choice as informed, involved, and resilient citizens. Our students demonstrate a marked improvement in standardized testing, school attendance, and a broad range of academic and non-academic measures. Our school is committed to facing every challenge along this path and to working alongside our students and families to meet them.
Teachers at People’s Prep embody the commitment, energy, and heart needed to excel in our classrooms. Our teachers serve as models for all People’s Prep students by bringing to life our core values of Grit, Empathy, Achievement, Curiosity, Humility, and Enthusiasm. Teachers who want to work at People’s Prep should expect the job to be demanding—and they should also expect the feedback, collaboration, and support necessary to excel in the classroom and as a teammate. We know, however, that People’s Prep is not for everyone.
If you can confidently answer ‘yes’ to the questions below, we’d love to meet you!
- Are you passionate about doing whatever it takes, no matter the circumstance, to prepare Newark students to graduate from the college of their choice?
- Do you get excited about analyzing data and the impact this has on your classroom?
- Do you thrive in an environment with high expectations for both students and staff?
- Do you want to join a team that celebrates the wins and rallies after the losses?
- Are you ready to (re)commit to the most important and difficult work in public education?
Instruction & Curriculum Development
- Develop and implement thoughtful lesson plans to accelerate student progress beyond grade-level competency.
- Use frequent formative and summative assessments and data tracking systems to guide lesson plan development and implementation.
- Do whatever it takes to support all students.
- Serve as Council Coach (advisor) to a small group of students.
- Communicate with students and their families regularly and proactively.
- Teach and enforce the school-wide, clearly defined systems, structures, and rules at all times.
- Engage fully in a coaching relationship including observations and feedback meetings with Instructional Coaches.
- Work collaboratively and participate actively at faculty meetings and in professional learning teams.
- Continue to develop professionally to ensure students attain ongoing improvement in academic achievement, particularly in literacy—regardless of teacher’s content concentration.
Qualifications and Certifications
- New Jersey teacher certification or certification eligibility.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience managing assessment data and using it to drive instruction and educational decisions.
- Urban classroom experience with evidence of proven, measurable, and significant student growth.
Salary and Benefits
- We pride ourselves on well-defined pathways to teacher leadership and the celebration of and recognition for excellent classroom practices.
- First-year teaching salary begins at $55,000 and is commensurate with experience.
- Benefits packages include health insurance, 403b with matching funds, cell phone reimbursement, and relocation stipend.
People’s Prep is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood.