The Center for the Integration and Advancement of New Americans (CIANA), Legal Services team provides free consultations to determine immigration relief, as well as low-fee assistance with a variety of immigration applications. Our Legal Services team is looking for a highly personable, persistent, and detail-oriented Legal Intern to assist our attorney with immigration cases.
- Schedule and confirm new appointments with clients
- Manage correspondence between CIANA, clients, and other institutions
- Complete general and legal intake for new clients
- Assist with legal appointments and aid in interpretation, especially if proficient in Arabic, Bengali, Spanish or other languages
- Maintain and organize up to date client database and digital files
- Perform legal research on issues of immigration law, draft memoranda, and report to the director of Legal Services
- This internship is for undergraduate students (with at least two years completed) and graduate students
- Fluency in Spanish is required
- Fluency in another language is a plus
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Microsoft Office and Google Suite, especially Excel/Sheets
- Knowledge of public benefits or willingness to learn
- Organization and filing
- Counseling or customer service
- An independent self-starter who can manage time effectively to accommodate several projects at once
- Regular schedule required.
- 15 – 20 hours a week during CIANA office hours (Mon. – Fri. 10 AM – 6 PM).
- Spring semester, position begins in January 2021
Interns will undergo an orientation and training.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Brianna McClure at firstname.lastname@example.org.