Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) supports the nation’s second largest research program conducted among the VA Hospitals and has a fantastic and rare opportunity for a Life Sciences Research Assistant. The Research Assistant position in the Nicolls Laboratory will support investigations that study the transcriptional regulation of pulmonary vascular development.
The Research Assistant will participate in general wet lab activities, animal husbandry, and high throughput sequencing of genes and proteins under the supervision of the Principal Investigator (PI) – Mark Nicolls, M.D., and Project Director-Amy Tian, Ph.D. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual with experience in molecular biology and cellular biology. Ideally, the Research Assistant will have experience with animal studies.
PAVIR is delighted to offer a robust and comprehensive employee benefits package with exceptional offerings such as health, dental and vision insurance, 14 paid holidays, generous vacation and sick pay policies, a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
- Perform immunofluorescence staining;
- Prepare samples for RNAseq, scRNAseq, ATACseq, and ChIPsea;
- Document findings of experiments and troubleshoot as needed;
- Assist with data analyses and communicate results to other lab staff;
- Perform mouse experiments, such as embryonic dissection, treatments, and surgeries;
- Maintain mouse colonies including breeding, weaning, and PCR genotyping;
- Perform animal husbandry related duties as required;
- Perform other wet lab duties as required.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree (or Senior-year Bachelor students with a graduation date scheduled for 2022) or equivalent experience;
- Valid Driver’s License required;
- Applicable bench lab experience;
- Preferred: 2 years of related work experience, including rodent handling;
- Previous laboratory experience with animal experimentation highly desired;
- Previous experience with cell culture, molecular biology, cell biology, and biochemical techniques;
- Understanding of animal physiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, and some mathematical skills;
- Ability to analyze scientific data and problem solve experiments;
- Good communication skills (written and verbal);
- Strong knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience;
- Ability to work independently and proactively, with good organizational skills;
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel;
- Previous experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection;
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures;
- General computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR facilitates research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH TEAM?
If you feel that you would be right for this job, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.