Career Resources for a Virtual Environment
FLEISHMAN CENTER RESOURCES
CAREER SERVICES ON-DEMAND VIDEO LIBRARY
Watch a collection of Fleishman Center recorded workshops to watch on your schedule! Our library contains 20 videos+ and continues to grow with new videos on a variety of topics!
Social Distancing Sundays: A healthy dose of weekly career advice to keep your goals on track
- Building and maintaining connections
- Staying busy during a quarantine – Learning new skills
- Conveying your skills to employers
- Setting yourself apart on your resume and during an interview
- Career advice from recent alumni
- Internships… NOT the only way to gain experience this summer!
This listing contains job boards and websites dedicated to virtual/remote internship and job opportunities, as well as information and keyword search tips on how to find remote/virtual opportunities on traditional job board websites such as Indeed, hireBING, and Monster.
JOB SEARCH INFORMATION & ARTICLES
- 500 Companies Hiring Students on hireBING by Handshake Right Now (Handshake)
- How To Job Search During The Coronavirus Pandemic (Glassdoor)
- Who is hiring during the coronavirus? Try these industries if you need a job now (Fast Company)
- 60 companies hiring to address COVID-19 (Glassdoor)
- Companies eager to hire amid COVID-19 (Glassdoor)
- Candor: User-generated list of companies still hiring or freezing hiring
- Here’s who’s hiring right now (LinkedIn)
- Five best places to find remote jobs (Workplaceless – blog)
- 18 best remote job boards in 2020 (Career Sidekick)
- 25+ best sites for finding remote work online in 2020 (Skillcrush)
- Top 100 companies with remote jobs in 2020 (Flex Jobs)
- Still Hiring: A curated list of stellar organizations that are #stillhiring.
- 11 Companies that let you work remotely (Glassdoor)
- These companies are hiring thousands of new employees during the coronavirus pandemic (CNN)
- Here’s who’s hiring right now (LinkedIn)
ADVICE, ONLINE DISCUSSIONS & OTHER RESOURCES
From around the web:
- Coronavirus Is Upending Internships for College Students. Here’s What to Do If Yours Was Canceled (Money.com)
- Coronavirus is upending summer internships — how to make your mark if your internship is now virtual (MarketWatch)
- Summer internships have dried up because of the pandemic. Here’s how to get ahead without one (CNN)
- Graduating in the Age of COVID-19 Student Guidebook (The Washington Center)
- How to Boost Your Career While You Shelter in Place (Vault)
- 4 Strategies for Nailing the Video Interview (Vault)
- 5 Big Benefits of Learning New Skills (Vault)
- How Will Coronavirus Affect Your Job Search in 2020? (Vault)
- Interviewing in the Time of Coronavirus (Vault)
- Job Searching in a Pandemic (LinkedIn)
- Job Seeking During an Outbreak (LinkedIn)
- Is the coronavirus going to disrupt your job search? (LinkedIn)
- COVID-19 and Your Job: Tips and Actions to Consider (Indeed)
- How COVID-19 is impacting job seekers and hiring managers (TechRepublic)
- What To Do If The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Cancels Your Summer Internship (Forbes)
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT/RESUME BUILDERS/LEARNING NEW SKILLS
- LinkedIn Learning offers a free 30-day trial. Access hundreds of courses and learn new skills that employers look for such as Excel, Programming, Web Development, Graphic Design or even Photography.
- IBM Design Thinking is offering several free courses that you can take for free. Create your account and complete these courses to earn badges.
- Coursera streams video lectures from top instructors in subjects like business, computer science, data science, language learning, & more.
- Codecademy offers 180 hours of free content on topics such as coding, programming, data science and more!
- edX offers access to 2,000+ free courses from leading institutions such as Harvard and MIT. Learn about business, management, nutrition, chemistry, music and more!
- Skillshare offers thousands of free classes on topics such as photography, creative writing, web design, UX design, film, and animation.
- Duolingo is a free app that teaches you a new language – Est-ce que tu parles français?
- Developing Career Competencies: COVID-19 Edition (Fleishman Center Resource)
GENERAL TIPS AND INFORMATION
- Reach out to recruiters/hiring managers to check-in but be patient if they don’t have an answer yet
- Prepare in advance to use virtual platforms for work-related tasks or interviews (Zoom, Webex, etc)
- Emphasize your adaptability
- Have prospective – employers are also adapting to a rapidly changing workplace
- Consider micro internship or project opportunities as alternatives if your internship is canceled