Take A Year On – Top Gap Year Resources
Thinking about taking a gap year? Whether you just feel like you need a year before beginning your career or are taking a break before pursuing advanced study, don’t take the year “off” — take the year ON! Use that year to learn, develop skills, and build experience to prepare you for your next steps!
Idealist – idealist.org
• Database for jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities, events, and organizations
• With more than 120,000 organizations and 1.4 million monthly visitors to its English and Spanish (idealistas.org) sites. Idealist helps people move from intention to action all over the world.
VOLUNTEER/TEACH/WORK ABROAD WEBSITES
Interstride – Access at web.interstride.com
Search for jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities by specific industry and country (also contains information for international students about H1B Visas)
• Country guides that include information about what industries are prominent, top companies that are hiring, how to network and cost of living
Cultural Vistas – culturalvistas.org
• Non-profit organization that promotes global understanding and collaboration through internships and exchange programs
• Cultural Vistas offers a variety of internship programs that range in duration and location. Examples include 1-3 month internships with the German Parliament, 8-week internships in Argentina and India, and customized internships in Brazil, Chile, France, and Ireland (many of these programs are funded).
Go Overseas General Database – gooverseas.com
• Database for internships, studying, volunteer, and GAP Year opportunities in major regions of the world
GoAbroad – goabroad.com
• Find a variety of travel resources and programs, such as their Volunteer Abroad, Teach Abroad, and GAP Year tools to help you identify international opportunities that are best suited for you
GAP Year Association – gapyearassociation.org/gap-year-programs.php
• The Gap Year Association provides a variety of resources to assist gap year students, including a list of programs, advice on planning your gap year, information on financial aid, etc